Published by Diogo Belo at 07/Dec/2015
The Electricity Museum (in portuguese, Museu da Electricidade) was founded in when the board of the EDP company decreed that the Central Tejo had to be reconverted into a museum. In , by proposal of EDP, the building of the old Central Tejo became considered a Building of Public Interest. Four years later, the museum finally opened its doors to the public.
The rooms of the museum are divided in three free circuits: the Circuito Central Tejo which encompasses the visit to the boilers, ashtrays, waters, capacitors and generators; the Circuito Energia, where there are thematic areas about energy sources, historic scientists in the electricity field and games always related with the subject; the Exposições Temporárias hosts pieces of several artistic fields, giving the museum a versatile facet always useful to the visitor.
The collection of the museum possesses not only what is in exhibition, but also other kinds of parts and equipments like appliances, models or molds that make us go back in time from today until the end of the 19th century.
In the Electricity Museum exists an important and vast documentation center that has tens of thousands of books, photographs and documents concerning the electricity theme.
Outside, the calm waters of the Rio Tejo delight the sight of all those who adventure in this journey by the mysterious world of electricity.
Map and Contacts
|Address||Avenida de Brasília, Central Tejo, 1300-598 Lisboa, Portugal|
|Telephone||+351 210 028 190 / +351 210 028 130|