Published by Diogo Belo at 18/Dec/2015
The Geological Museum had its beginnings started in , thanks to the reunion of a group of fossil samples, rocks and minerals, due to the activities of the Geological Commissions. Parents of the national geology, Paul Choffat, Carlos Ribeiro and Nery Delgado were the main responsible for the assembly of the initial collection.
The second half of the 19th century became prodigal in advances in the field of geology with an earned highlight to the publishing of the first Geological Chart of the Country in .
In the present, the museum is integrated in the organic structure of the Laboratório Nacional de Energia e Geologia and was considered a Building of Public Interest in , because its head office remains the same since the creation. Here, exist six reference collections: Paleontological collection, Collection of Portuguese Stratigraphy, Collection of Prehistoric Archaeology, Mineralogical Collection, Lithological Collection and Scientific Instruments Collection.
At the disposal of visitors exist four rooms divided by the themes of Paleontology, Archeology, Mineralogy and Geology Room of Lisboa.
Map and Contacts
|Address||Rua da Academia das Ciências, 19 - 2º, 1249-280 Lisboa, Portugal|
|Telephone||+351 213 463 915|