Published by Diogo Belo at 12/Dec/2015
The Museum of the Ajuda National Palace is located in the interior of the palace that names it. The neoclassic building, designed by the architects Francisco Xavier Favri and José da Costa Silva, was built in the 19th century by order of the royal prince D. João. It was the official residence of the royal family during nearly half a century, until the end of the monarchy.
In , year of the Establishment of the Portuguese Republic, the Ajuda National Palace is elevated to the category of National Monument. During the following decades, the building would be closed and the access restricted, until that on the , the palace is partially converted into a museum and is inaugurated to the public.
The museum's collection counts with five centuries of history in decorative art elements (centuries 19th – 20th), including sculptures, photographs, jewelry, furniture, paintings, textiles, glasses and utensils that were used in the daily life at the palace. The highlights go to the ceramic collection that rises to about 17.000 pieces and the rooms of the palace itself which invite us to travel until the time of the kings, queens, princes and princesses.
Map and Contacts
|Address||Largo da Ajuda, 1349-021 Lisboa, Portugal|
|Telephone||+351 213 637 095 / +351 213 620 264|