Published by Diogo Belo at 28/Dec/2015
The Palace of the Marquises of Fronteira (in portuguese, Palácio dos Marqueses de Fronteira) was erected in the 17th century for D. João Mascarenhas, the first man to bear the title of Marquis of Fronteira. It is situated near to the Parque Florestal de Monsanto1, enjoying the placidity characteristic of the proximity with nature. In the 18th century, after the huge earthquake of , the palace is refurbished and a new wing is added to its facilities.
Those who decided to visit the Fronteira Palace, will find a fabulous collection of imported tile from Holland in the Room of Panels. In the Room of Battles there are in display pieces alluding to eight of the battles that culminated in the Restoration of Independency on the December 1st, . There are also other spaces in the facilities: Juno Room, Room of the Four Elements and Chapel, this last when, older than the palace.
In the garden, stands out the Gallery of Kings that houses busts of Portuguese monarchs to King John VI, omitting the three Spanish kings.
Nowadays, the palace is inhabited by the direct offspring of the first Marquis of Fronteira and is classified as National Monument. However, it is possible to contact with this noble space and its garden by booking in advance guided visits.
- Forest Park of Monsanto
Map and Contacts
|Address||Largo São Domingos de Benfica, 1, 1500-554 Lisboa, Portugal|
|Telephone||+351 217 782 023|