Published by Diogo Belo at 15/Dec/2015
The Portuguese Cinematheque (in portuguese, Cinemateca Portuguesa) was created in with the meeting of a documentary collection alluding to the arts of Portuguese cinema. Its director was Manuel Félix Ribeiro, that at the time, He played roles in the Secretariado Nacional de Informação1. In the year the film deposits are built. In , the Portuguese Cinematheque became part of the International Federation of Archives and Films. However, the first public session of a movie only happens on the , at the Palácio Foz2, Praça dos Restauradores3. This milestone was of the utmost importance for the body designed to ensure the film heritage of Portugal.
In , the institution reaches another historic milestone by becoming fully autonomous and independent from the State.
Currently, the Portuguese Cinematheque has available for the public a permanent exhibition divided into three centers:
- The Sala dos Carvalhos4, is the place where are displayed diverse technical devices inherent to the activity of cinema.
- At the Palácio Foz2 we are invited to go back in time to the period between the 18th and 20th centuries with the Exposição Interativa de Pré-Cinema5.
- The Sala dos Cupidos6 houses an exhibition of magic lanterns with which shows are also conducted.
- National Information Secretariat
- Foz Palace
- Restauradores Square
- Oaks Room
- Interactive Exhibition of Pre-Cinema
- Cupids Room
Map and Contacts
|Address||Rua Barata Salgueiro nº 39, 1269-059 Lisboa, Portugal|
|Telephone||+351 213 596 200|