In the mid 30 of the 20th century, Francisco Keil do Amaral designed the tea house of Montes Claros on the southwest slope of the Parque Florestal de Monsanto1, characterized by having a long garden with viewpoints in each margin and an extensive pond to the center.
Nowadays, the former tea house, converted into luxurious event space, continues famous due to its beautiful garden perched over the forest, however, the viewpoint lost a great deal of its perspective because of the excessive height of the trees. Two viewpoints to southeast, southwest and northwest, leaving solely a last one which view to Alfragide and Amadora has very little touristy interest.
In the end of the garden, after the pond's stone pergola, appears a descending trail where it's still possible to observe the mouth of the Rio Tejo2 off the village of Costa do Vapor, county of Almada.
The Viewpoint of Montes Claros invites for a long walk by the margins of its garden. Talk, read, meditate. It is an extremely serene and distant place from the big city bustle.
Viewpoints of Monsanto Forest Park
- Viewpoint of Torre de Observação do CIM
- Viewpoint of Moinho das Três Cruzes do Calhau
- Viewpoint of Seis Pedreiras
- Viewpoint of Alto da Serafina
- Viewpoint of Luneta dos Quartéis
- Viewpoint of Moinhos do Mocho
- Viewpoint of Panorâmico de Monsanto
- Escarpa Viewpoint
- Viewpoint Keil do Amaral
- Viewpoint of Moinho do Penedo
- Viewpoint of Montes Claros
- Viewpoint of Moinhos de Santana
- Monsanto Forest Park
- Tagus River
Map and Contacts